Supplemental Income for Wartime Veterans

Did your parent serve in the military? If so, he or she or their serving spouse may apply for Veterans or Survivors Benefits.  The VA helps Veterans and their families cope with financial challenges by providing supplemental income through the Veterans Pension benefit, a tax-free monetary benefit payable to low-income wartime Veterans.

Veterans Pension is a needs-based benefit paid to eligible wartime Veterans who meet certain age or non-service connected disability requirements. The Veterans (or Survivors) Pension provides benefits that reduce the cost of care for veterans and surviving spouses who require assisted living.

  • Like Social Security, this pension is dependable and is paid directly to you by the Department of the Treasury.
  • This benefit can be used for in-home care, board and care, assisted living communities, and private-pay nursing homes.


Who is Eligible?

Veterans and/or their spouses may be eligible if he or she:

  • served 90 days or more of active duty, including one day during a wartime period
  • Your yearly family income must be less than the amount set by Congress to qualify for the Veterans Pension benefit.
  • is age 65 or older


Applying for Aid


Contact your local county Veterans Commission office. (Google). Make an appointment. The Veterans officer will determine eligibility and give you the necessary forms that need to be completed. Return those forms to the Veterans office. All services are FREE.

Kane County: Jake Zimmerman
Phone: 630-232-3550

Kendall County: Chad Lockman
Phone: 630-553-8357


DuPage County: Steve Fixler
Phone: 630-407-5655

DeKalb County: Tammy Anderson –  815-756-8129

Will-County: 815-740-8389

In a nutshell, the Veterans Aid and Attendance pension benefit is a tax-free financial resource to help offset the cost of care for those who are low income and require the assistance of others for daily living.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply